Saturday, 12 December 2020

Historical Objects in Heraldry VII

 When I started this theme, at the suggestion of member Herbert Coutts MBE, I was slow to realise that my own arms would qualify for inclusion, along with those of other Devlin members of the HSS.

The ancient Devlin Townland, where many Devlins still live and hundreds are buried, is at Muinterdevlin (or Muintir Dhoiblin) on the West Coast of Lough Neagh in County Tyrone. The area is dominated by the ruins of an old abbey and a tenth century celtic cross known as the Cross of Ardboe.


A Jeremiah Devlin of New York was granted these arms in 1873 by Sir Bernard Burke, Ulster King of Arms:   
Azure an Irish cross Or between three mullets Argent.


In 1931, another Devlin/Develon  petitioned the Ulster Office, where the King of Arms was Sir Nevile Rodwell Wilkinson who states oddly, that Arms for the name "Do not appear to have been heretofore recorded". I say "oddly" because he then granted very similar arms, including the same griffin crest and motto to this petitioner:  Azure a celtic cross Argent between three mullets of the last.


As far as I know, the next Devlin arms are mine, recorded at the Lyon Office in 2005:


 Vert, on a chevron Or a fleur de lys in the Florentine style of the First, on a chief of the Second the heads of three Celtic crosses of the First. I reduced the Ardboe Cross to a crosshead but, hey, I have three of them.

Our member, Godfrey Devlin was granted arms by Lyon Morrow in 2017 and chose to follow the pattern set by Jeremiah, using the griffin crest and a different arrangement of the Ardboe Cross and the stars: 

Azure, a Celtic cross Or, on a chief of the Second three mullets of the First.







: